Monday, November 16, 2015

Shades Of Lipstick Love: Blue-based Reds

We all have those things that we're always attracted to. We just can't help it. Our eyes zone in on what we like. Before we even know it, we "accidentally" add it to our cart and "accidentally" enter our credit card info and check out.

Besides metallic reds, my other lipstick love is blue based reds. There's just something so glam about a blue red, and the fact that the contrast of the blue undertone makes your teeth appear whiter and brighter is an added bonus!

All swatches taken on bare lips, with a camera flash. 

"Ruby Woo"
(very matte vivid blue-red)
 M.A.C has some great reds in their permanent line, but I have noticed that many makeup lovers tend to prefer one of their two most popular reds a bit more than the other. As for me, I'm on Team Ruby. This was my first ultra matte blue-red lipstick, and it is the shade that started my little love affair with blue-toned red lipsticks.


"Fiery"
(deep red)
My sister has very prominent warm tones and generally didn't wear blue-reds for a long time, but she loves this shade! She has since discovered many more she likes. I love this shade on her, and I like to wear it too. I really like the velvety smooth finish of this shade. In this photo, the color appears a bit brighter in tone (likely due to the flash). In person, I notice the blue undertones appear to be more prominent, and richer in tone.


"Dragon Girl"
(siren red)
I love how lightweight this pencil feels after application. It's very comfortable. I think it wears off pretty evenly, leaving a soft stain. The matte finish is very smooth. The edges tend to look a bit pink as the shade opacity thins a bit; but I prefer to perfect the edges of my lipstick with a lipliner so it's not really an issue. 


M.A.C Lipstick
"Glam"
(vivid, bright pinky red) 
 This shade is sadly no longer available, but I thought it deserved a mention in this post of my favorite cool-toned red lipsticks. I voted for "Glam" in the M.A.C By Request every day, because I could just tell that I needed to get my hands (and lips) on this shade. Glam applies as a cool-toned red that borders on fuchsia, then wears down to a really pretty pink stain. I ordered a second tube after my first order arrived, because I just really loved it and it contrasted nicely with my skin tone.


Make Up For Ever Rouge Artist Intense Lipstick
#45
(raspberry red)
 I tried this lipstick for the first time 2 years ago, and it was instant love. It has a really pretty soft sheen. The Rouge Artist Intense lipstick formula feels so luxe, and fades to a beautiful stain. It has come to my attention (as of right now) that this shade is no longer available on Sephora or the Make Up For Ever website. This is pretty heartbreaking to me, considering this is one of my top 5 favorite red lipsticks - of ALL time.



- Ashley

No comments: